Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Ice Storm

I won't take long tonight. We were hit with a bad ice storm on Monday night. We have been without electricity, heat, water, telephones except cell phones when we can keep them charged. They said to begin with that we'd have electricity in a day or two but then we heard that it could be a week or more. My parents, my son and I are in St. Joseph at my brother and sister-in-law's house for the duration. We went back to Oregon to feed the horses this morning and check the houses. We had electricity for about 10 minutes but nothing since. They say that Holt County is a total disaster. I will write more later, on the storm. I'm using my brother's computer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm glad to know that you are someplace warm and safe. Hopefully it won't be a week. Hang in there.

Bev Mahone said...

Annie,

I was wondering how you were faring out there. Glad to hear you're not in danger and te fact that you are surrounded by family during those trying times.

Take care and God Bless!

Anonymous said...

One thing we did during our last major, major Ice Storm, Christmas day 2000, was put our fridge food in boxes outside. Plenty cold to keep them fresh, maybe a little icy.

People were shopping in the grocery stores by flashlight, batteries, candles selling out, next came canned foods, warm blankets and camping supplies.

Homes with woodburning stoves and generators became quite popular. Neighborhood gathering places. (Many cheap junk generators were sold during this time).

I look forward to hearing more about your ice storm, thankful you have your brother's to stay at and able to go back and take care of the horses.

http://connectsimply.com/blog

Claudia Meydrech said...

Hi Sandra,

Just saw your post on WIN and I'm so happy to hear you are home and have electricity again!

Happy Baking!

Claudia :-)